Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Nick's Grilled Cheese

If you know me well, you know that I love grilled cheese sandwiches. It's been a staple in my diet my whole life! So when Nick came up with a fancier version of the standard grilled cheese, I swooned. This is what he did.



Ingredients:
Sourdough bread (I use sourdough wheat bread from Trader Joes)
4-5 slices of cheddar cheese
Julienned sundried tomatoes, to taste
4 or 5 button mushrooms
1 tsp of rosemary
1 small shallot
1 clove of garlic
*optional- add in a couple slices of fresh tomato, but be aware! This makes your sandwich a bit juicy..

1. Spread butter on one side of each piece of bread.
2. In a small frying pan, saute the shallots, rosemary, garlic and mushrooms together until cooked through (I like to brown them).
3. In a cast iron pan, place one of the bread slices in the pan, butter side down. Add on top of the bread your cheese slices and the mushroom/shallot mix and place your sundried tomatoes on the bread. Top with the other slice of bread, butter side up.
4. Cook the sandwich on each side until the cheese melts and the bread has been browned. I use a cover on my pan to help the cheese melt. I get impatient because I want to eat my sandwich right away, but it's best to use a lower heat setting so that the bread doesn't burn.
5. This sandwich can be messy! Messy and delicious...

No comments:

Post a Comment